Shop for Cancer Bracelets, Awareness Bracelets & Bracelets for Any Occasion


Monday, April 16, 2012

April Monthly Check-up

Courtney had her monthly check up last week and things went okay.  She has been having some pain in her liver area and her ribs are separating in the same area.  You can even see an indentation.  The doctor did xrays and an ultrasound of her liver and gallbladder, but they turned out normal.  They do not know what is causing the pain, and she continues to have it.  She takes medicine and puts icy patches on the area and that is helping for now.  We will talk to the doctor again at the May visit if this continues.  She continues on the same dose of peginterferon.  Her last treatment will be June 5th!  We are both excited to be finished with the shots, but we are also scared that the cancer will come back.  We pray that she continues to be NED after she stops the medicine.... for the rest of her life!  It is amazing that next month is one year since she was diagnosed.  Since her melanoma could be genetic we have to watch all of our skin and moles very carefully, which we have been doing.  Saturday one of my moles that I have been watching starting bleeding (a lot) and Courtney and I looked at each other and our stomachs dropped.  She said I need to go to the dermatologist.  I was going to go after Hawaii since it usually takes weeks or months to get an appointment, but I called and took me right away.  I was so surprised.  They removed the mole that was bleeding and another one on my thigh that looked like it had 2 colors in it, and I will get the results in about 7 days.   The previous 4 moles that I have had removed have come back fine, so I am sure these will too.  I finally found a doctor that I really like in Bowling Green.  He took the time to talk to me and explain a lot of things.  I was very pleased with him, and I will be bringing my family to see him as well.      

She is doing well on her thyroid medicine.  Her temperatures are normal again, and she has more energy.  She had some angry feelings when she first started taking it, but those are gone.  She does get irritated by people at times as well, but who doesn't.  We met with the hormone doctor this visit and he thinks that the interferon is causing the thyroid problems and it will hopefully go back to normal after she completes her treatment.  St. Jude is simply amazing!  We love everyone there.


Today I received our Make-A-Wish Itinerary and packet.  Yay!!  We leave one week from today to Maui, Hawaii.  The hotel looks absolutely beautiful.  This is very exciting and have been looking forward to this for a long time.  Make-a-Wish is amazing, and we are SO thankful to them.   

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just wanted to say that I have stage 2a melanoma. I was diagnosed 4-1-11 and have been NED since 4-27-11. I have a 17 year old daughter and can't imagine her being the one to go through this. You are amazing and I will pray you stay NED! Love your blog! It will help a lot of people see what melanoma can really do. It is not just skin cancer! xoxo

thatmjgirl said...

This has helped to ease my fears a quite a bit. Thank you! Cancer, especially skin cancer, is very common in my family. My mother has had countless cancerous moles removed and even some that were melanoma. Last week, I discovered a mole on my left temple that is raised, itchy, red, and bleeding. I know that I need to go to the doctor but I am so petrified of what I know he is going to say that I don't want to go. I am 17 and have only recently began to take care of my skin after realizing what my mom and other members of my family have gone through. Your daughter is in my prayers and I know that she will be that girl that reaches out to others and says "If I can beat it, so can you!" I will continue to follow your blog as I embark on my own journey. God bless and keep kicking cancer's butt one day at a time!

Courtney's mama said...

Hi Melissa, I am so happy for you! I will pray that you stay NED. Courtney was diagnosed May 12, 2011. She will be finished with her 1 year treatment in 5 weeks.
I wish you the best! Stay in touch.
Tari (Courtney's Momma)

Courtney's mama said...

Hi thatmjgirl,
Thank you for sharing. As you probably know, you really need to get to the doctor right away. Courtney's mole was raised, itchy, and bleeding for MONTHS before I took her to have it removed because I had NO IDEA WHAT MELANOMA was. I did not know there was a deadly skin cancer or that skin cancer had anything to do with moles. Well we waited about 6 months or so before we went, and her tumor grew to 7mm (4mm is large), ulcerated, high mitotic rate, etc. She is a 2C, which is worse than a 3a as far as survival rate. SO PLEASE, PLEASE GO SOON. If we went right away, she may only be a stage 1 today, but she is not. I will regret that decision for the rest of my life. Please keep me updated on how you are doing. Take care,
Tari