Shop for Cancer Bracelets, Awareness Bracelets & Bracelets for Any Occasion


Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Melanoma Awareness for Teens and Kids/ Beware of Tanning Beds/Salons

Even after my daughter was diagnosed with Malignant Melanoma, her friends are continuing to go to the tanning beds and laying out in the sun without sunscreen.  Teenagers are NOT aware of how deadly melanoma can be, or they just think it will not happen to them.  I, as an adult, was not aware of melanoma and I thought it would not happen to us.  I mistakingly allowed my daughter to go to a tanning booth for 3 one month sessions over the last 2 years, which is not much at all considering how much other teens and kids are going.   I do believe now that there should be a law banning anyone from under 18 years of age from going to tanning salons, as there is just not enough awareness on melanoma out there.  I had NO IDEA that melanoma could spread as fast as it does and go into the organs and can be deadly.  This is absolutely terrifying!!  I thought skin cancer was topical only and was cut out and that was the end of it.... of course I never thought we would even get that.  Melanoma awareness needs to be brought to our middle and high schools as melanoma is on the rise for teens and they also need to know that they can DIE from going to the tanning bed.

No comments: